|Recipe Name:||Hassan's Pilau||Submitted by:||Julie|
|Preparation Time:||30-60 Minutes|
|Number of Servings:||8|
1 whole spices garam masala
2 Pound(s) bone in meat of choice mutton
4 Cup(s) rice, basmati
10 Cup(s) water
1 Pound(s) (guessing at amounts) onion, red
The amounts here are approximate, as this was a bonus recipe dispensed over the spice aisle as we were looking at Shan spices.
After giving me the Biryani recipe, Hassan said he personally prefers Pilau, as follows:
.5 Rinse and soak rice.
1. Boil water with whole garam masala spices (amount? Who knows). For about 10 minutes.
2. Add meat and boil until 3/4 done. Remove meat and fry in ghee until browned and pleasing in color.
3. In a separate pan, carmelize the onions until dark brown.
4. Add onions to broth and simmer until the broth turns brown from the onions. At this point, strain the onions and spices from broth, and discard.
5. Return meat to broth and bring to boil. Add salt (who knows how much).
6. Meanwhile, drain and shake rice. When meat boils, add rice and return to boil. Cook until steam columns appear in the rice. Cover tightly and simmer 15 minutes.
7. You're done!