|Recipe Name:||Chicken Tinga||Submitted by:||Ryan|
|Source:||Source Description:||CS Monitor|
|Preparation Time:||30-60 Minutes|
|Number of Servings:||6|
2 Tablespoon(s) oil, olive
1 diced onion, yellow
2 diced green and red bell pepper
1 diced tomatillo
2 Clove(s) minced garlic
1 diced pepper, chipotle
2 Tablespoon(s) from chipotle peppers adobo sauce
3 1/2 Cup(s) fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
2 Teaspoon(s) Mexican oregano
1 Teaspoon(s) ground cumin
6 chicken breast
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot, then add the onion and bell peppers. Saute over medium heat until the vegetables star to soften, then lower the heat a little, add the garlic and cover the pan. Cook until soft and browning a little, about 10 minutes, stirring a few times.
2. Add a little water to the pan and scrape up any browned bits form the bottom of the pan, then let the water cook off. Browning the vegetables a little adds some depth of flavor and richness. Add the chipotles, adobo sauce, tomatoes, oregano and cumin and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
3. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes. When the sauce has cooled a bit, transfer it to a blender and puree until smooth.
4. Pour the sauce back into the pot and add the chicken breasts, stirring to cover each breast with sauce. Bring the pot to a bubble over medium high heat, then turn the heat to low, cover the pot and leave to simmer until the chicken is very tender, about 1-1/2hours.
5. Remove the chicken breasts to a plate one at a time and use two forks to pull the chicken into shreds, then return the shreds to the sauce in the pot. Continue to simmer uncovered until the sauce reduces and thickens, about 30 minutes.
Note: You can place the chicken and sauce in a slow cooker and cook over low heat for 4 hours, then shred the meat as above.