|Recipe Name:||Chicken Tikka Masala||Submitted by:||Ryan|
|Preparation Time:||30-60 Minutes|
|Number of Servings:||4|
2 Tablespoon(s) oil, canola
2 Teaspoon(s) coriander seeds
3 whole cloves
3 green cardamom pods
1 minced onion, white
3 roughly minced chili, serrano
3 garlic clove
8 chicken thighs
1 Teaspoon(s) sugar
1 Teaspoon(s) salt
1 Teaspoon(s) ground coriander
1 Teaspoon(s) ground cumin
1 Teaspoon(s) ground chili powder
1 Teaspoon(s) ground ginger
1 Teaspoon(s) ground turmeric
2 Tablespoon(s) whole fat yogurt
2 Tablespoon(s) oil, vegetable
1 Can(s) tomatoes, diced canned
2 Cup(s) chicken stock
1/2 Cup(s) chopped cilantro
3 Tablespoon(s) butter, unsalted
1/4 Cup(s) cream, heavy
6 Cup(s) cooked rice, basmati
1. In a wok, add about 1⁄4 cup canola oil along with the whole coriander, cloves and cardamom pods. Stir into the oil to start flavoring the oil.
2. Add the minced onions to the wok. Allow to cook down 4-5 minutes until the onions are nice and soft.
3. Add the garlic and ginger to a food processor and puree until mostly smooth.
4. Place half the garlic and ginger puree to the onions.
5. In a bowl, add chicken thighs and add the second half of the garlic ginger puree.
6. Blend together the peeled garlic and ginger to make a fine paste. Add a little water and salt.
7. Cut the chicken into chunks and place in a large bowl. Add the yogurt.
8. Combine the dry spices-sugar, salt, coriander, cumin, chili powder, ginger, cinnamon, and turmeric.
9. Add half of the ground spices to the chicken with the yogurt. Mix well to combine so that all pieces of the chicken are covered well.
10. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
11. Add the chiles to the onions. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock and reduce the liquid by 1⁄2 on high heat.
12. Once reduced, cool liquid. Carefully add to a blender and puree until smooth. Place through a sieve to ensure the sauce is incredibly smooth.
13. Take chicken out of the refrigerator and place the marinated chicken pieces on a aluminum foil lined sheet tray. Place in the oven on broil setting and broil for 5 minutes each side, about 10-12 minutes total. If you have a grill, you can also grill it. They should begin to develop a little char on the outside, which adds to the final flavor of the dish, although be careful not to burn the chicken.
14. Reserve the chicken, making sure to capture all the juices.
15. Add 3 tablespoons of butter to a hot pan and melt.
16. Return the sauce to the pan and add the heavy cream (reserving a little bit for garnish).
17. Add the chicken pieces to the pan along with any juices they have released. Cook the sauce gently until the chicken pieces are warmed through and the sauce has reduced to a thick gravy, anywhere from 5-8 minutes.
18. When ready to serve, garnish with the remaining fresh coriander (cilantro leaf) and drizzle with the remaining cream and serve with jasmine rice and naan to sop up the sauce.