2 Pound(s) green cabbage
2 nubs shaved off ears of corn
1 Bunch(s) sliced half-moon, thin radish
3/4 Pound(s) chopped green tomato
1 diced, small or med size onion, red
1 Teaspoon(s) chili flakes
2 Tablespoon(s) Sea salt
2 Tablespoon(s) sugar
Chow chow is a Southern relish, good with meats, barbecue, pinto beans, corn bread, and everything else.
1. In a large bowl, pour salt/sugar/chili flakes over the chopped cabbage. Squeeze the mixture, bruising cabbage, 5-8 minutes, until juices start to exude.
2. In a larger bowl, layer all the ingredients, and slowly mix by hand to blend them.
3. Fill 4 pint jars to the top with mixture (might have some leftover), and press down with a pestle or other tool. "Stomp" them all down, then add remaining ingredients.
4. Make sure brine covers mixture in jars. Cover tightly and let sit at room temperature for 1-2 weeks.
5. For first 2 days, check twice daily to make sure everything stays covered in brine. Then every day or two; "burp" jars and make sure covered in brine.